Like color, design, and name a company slogan/tagline
is may be an essential part of any brand (note: mine have none yet 🙂 ). I am not going to list key features of a good marketing slogan (you are most probably well aware of them: short, catchy, unique, etc, etc) – I don’t like repeating what is said in each and every how-to-create-a-good-slogan post. What I still want to point out are some advanced features that are often overlooked by most experienced copywriters.
Keep in mind:
1. Rank your company website for your slogan/tagline (the easiest way to do that is to include your brand name in it);
2. Brand your slogan (e.g. make it part of your company logo/banner);
3. Avoid nonsense and worthless [SEO] phrases (like ‘Cheap and Unique SEO Services‘… grrr…);
4. Create a universally understandable slogan.
So how do I sloganize my brand?
I am not a professional copywriter, but I want to create a slogan for my website. How do I do that? (yep, you did expect me to give some actionable advice, didn’t you?)
>>> Find inspiration in English idioms and cliches. Quick example (note, that’s the first thing that came to my mind, so bare with me 🙂). “Every trick in the book” may become “Every trick in SEO,” or something like that.
Note: don’t forget about slogan feature #4 and also about British/American English language differences.
Note: again, slang may be area specific and often… well, rude.
>>> Learn from others’ successful inventions.and
Note: if your business belongs to a different vertical (than the original slogan owner’s), you can freely use someone else’s idea unless it’s universally or generally popular.
It’s time for some examples:
Most prominent (i.e. my favorite) feature:
|– contains the brand name;||“Read SEOmoz. Rank better. ” (SEOmoz.org)|
|– is part of brand logo/banner;||“Get Found!” (SearchEnginePeople.com)|
|– is catchy and ideally matches the brand image;||“I’m sexy and I do SEO.” (SexySeo.blogspot.com)|
|– clearly describes the service itself;||“Our job is to make you stand out.” (StepForth.com)|
So… Please vote:
1. Watch this bad slogan game – quite a nice read;
2. Try this slogan generator. This is what I got for ‘SEO’ there:
Latest posts by Ann Smarty (see all)
- Call-to-Action Button Wording: Wondering What to Put on Your CTA Button? Here Are Dozens of Ideas! - Apr 27, 2016
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating “Tweetable” Tips Article to Drive Shares and Traffic - Apr 20, 2016
- What Signals of a Quality Web Page: E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness) and More - Apr 13, 2016