To Sphinn or not to sphinn… That is the question. Bookmarking one’s own articles can be frowned upon being compared with mere spamming. And here is my sincere confession: I DO bookmark posts authored by me as social bookmarking is the best way to get to know your audience, to evaluate your own content and to experiment.
does it mean?
|Compare traffic and feed subscriptions (e.g. Google analytics and Feedburner
|Your website experienced the huge traffic boost but there were no feed subscriptions.||1. The traffic was untargeted (refer to the bounce rate and page views stats of the analytics);2. Your content does not provide any new/ exciting/ useful information.
3. You do not provide any clear way to subscribe to your feed.
|Compare the actual SB traffic and response rate.||You expected your post
to generate a much better response (e.g. in the form of comments).
|1. The visitors from SB are not interested in your niche (Google analytics will help to identify this);2. Your website is not optimized for that (it requires registration, asks for additional details, etc);
3. Your post content is not optimized to generate comments (e.g. you do not encourage people to comment)
|Evaluate the social response.||Your post was not bookmarked in any other social bookmarking network.||Your post headline is not optimized for SB.|
|Compare the response from a general social bookmarking community and from a niche
|Your post is much better responded in a general/ niche directory.||Your writing (style) is universal / very niche specific (nothing bad in either of these, unless your aims are inverse).|
|Compare the expected reaction and the actual readers’ reaction.||You expected your post to do much better in SB.||Well, that’s a great opportunity to assess your own content and writing skills.|
So the most essential stats to look into are:
1. Traffic numbers (Google analytics):
2. Bounce rate (Google analytics);
3. Page views per source (Google analytics);
4. Feed subscription stats (Feedburner.com):
5. Commenting rate;
6. Blog and social bookmarking response rate (Technorati reactions).
Latest posts by Ann Smarty (see all)
- Digital Marketing Tools: Best New SEO Software I Use - Apr 5, 2022
- Five Tools to Find a Great Brand Name - Mar 4, 2022
- How Much Does a Blog Site Cost? The Minimum Blog Price - Nov 26, 2021